The north wall and doorway date from the 12th century. The four bay south arcade is mid 13thc but the aisle, with its piscina unusually in the most easterly window sill, is 14th century, and possibly housed the altar of the guild of St John. The west window is 15th century, whilst the timber tower with its three bell pits is thought to be early 17th century. The clerestory was probably added and the roof replaced at about the same date. The chancel was rebuilt in 1848 in yellow brick. William White, who had recently worked at Old Hurst, restored the church in 1871-2, and the screen and stalls against it appear to be his work. At that date the church dedication was to All Saints.
The font has a 13th century octagonal bowl with a more modern or substantially reworked tapered stem and a modern (1990) locally-carved wooden cover. Two 16thc pews survive, and four pews on the north side of the nave are thought to have been made from panelling (which bears the date 1631) from the Manor House. The remaining pews are Victorian. Those in the south aisle have been replaced by chairs on a two year licence whilst further re-ordering is being explored.
Yes, St John the Baptist is a member of CHCT.
No grants applied for.