The core of Holy Trinity is medieval but one would never know it by the extensive Victorian ‘restoration’. Architect R.R. Rowe thoroughly rebuilt the church from 1871-1877 in a very personal eclectic style. This includes a flat roofed tower with an unusual turret staircase topped by a ‘pepper pot’ cupola.
Although Rowe preserved 13th century lancet windows, a double piscina and sedilia in the chancel, he thoroughly rebuilt the transepts. The crossing is entirely Rowe, with polished red granite columns and beautiful floral capitals. The 14th century nave culminates with the Perpendicular font decorated with carved roses and angels bearing shields. Rowe even relocated the south porch further to the west.
Taking part: Yes
Church building will be Open