We are pleased to announce details of our conference, which as usual we hope will be of interest to our members and others and will enhance their knowledge and understanding of church buildings in our county and elsewhere.
1000 Welcome : His Honour Neil McKittrick, Chair of the Trust, a Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire.
1005 From tracing floor to finished structure – how medieval masons used geometry to create church buildings – Dr Alexandrina Buchanan FSA, Reader in Archive Studies at the University of Liverpool
1120 History of building stone use in south Cambridgeshire churches – Dr Nigel Woodcock, Emeritus Reader in the Earth Sciences Department at the University of Cambridge.
1210 Production and trade of the glass for medieval church windows – Professor Ian Freestone, Emeritus Professor of Archaeological Materials and Technology. Institute of Archaeology
1300 Finger buffet lunch, for those who have ordered
1400 The work of the Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust The Revd Canon David Pritchard, Vice-Chair of the Trust
1425 Timber, its sources and its use in the construction of churches – Julian Munby FSA, former head of Buildings Archaeology at Oxford Archaeology.
1515 Closing remarks
His Honour Neil McKittrick is Chair of the Trust, a Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire and a former High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire and former circuit judge.
Dr Nigel Woodcock is an Emeritus Reader in the Earth Sciences Department at the University of Cambridge. His research has mostly involved field-based projects on the depositional and tectonic history of Palaeozoic rocks in Britain and Ireland. Since his retirement from teaching in 2019, he has developed his long-standing interest in the history of building stone usage, first in the buildings of the city of Cambridge and more recently in the medieval churches of south Cambridgeshire.
Professor Ian Freestone is Emeritus Professor of Archaeological Materials and Technology at the Institute of Archaeology at University College London. He has researched into early ceramics and archaeometallurgy and currently his main interest is in the chemistry and production of early glass, with current projects on Roman and post-Roman glass in Europe and the eastern Mediterranean. He trained as a petrologist/geochemist and spent 20 years working in the laboratories of the British Museum, where he gained enormous experience of archaeological artefacts and their technologies.
Dr Alexandrina Buchanan is an architectural historian, working specifically on the post-medieval reception, interpretation and use of medieval architecture. She is Reader in Archive Studies at the University of Liverpool and currently serves as President of the Archives and Records Association. She is a former member of the Council for the Care of Churches and of the Councils of the British Records Association, and the Association of Manuscripts and Archives in Research Collections, as well as being a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.
The Revd Canon David Pritchard is Vice-Chair of the Trust and Chair of its Executive Committee, and was formerly Precentor, Vice-Dean and later Acting Dean of Ely.
Julian Munby is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, former head of Buildings Archaeology at Oxford Archaeology, and author or co-author of numerous publications and articles on related subjects. He is Diocesan Archaeological Advisor to the Oxford Diocese, and Chair of the Chichester Cathedral Fabric Advisory Committee.
Wolfson College is located just within the south-western city limits of Cambridge, on the left of Barton Road A603, approaching Cambridge from M11 Junction 12. A map and directions can be found at www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/directions. Cambridge railway station is some distance away and delegates arriving by rail are advised to hire taxis. There is parking in some nearby streets. If you have limited mobility, please indicate, as we have a very small supply of permits to park within the College. Otherwise, passengers can be dropped off at the front of the College and the driver can look for parking on street.
Because of building works our usual Conference setting, the Lee Hall, is not available. On this occasion the conference sessions will take place in the Dining Hall, on the first floor above the main entrance and Porter’s Lodge, accessible by stairs and by lift. Similar audio-visual facilities will be available as hitherto.