Home » Churches
Small but perfectly proportioned, the church is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. A beautiful fourteenth-century interior with a south aisle but none on the north. Empty of all but a few pews, it gives a glimpse of how an early medieval church may have looked. Unusually narrow tower with a slender spire.
: A large church for a small village with an impressive memorial to the son of Lord Gorges, Surveyor and Superintendent General for the draining of the Great Fen. There is also medieval graffiti on some of the north pillars.
An unusual triple-gabled west front was built in the 1840s when the dilapidated medieval tower was demolished. The outer walls of the nave are also nineteenth-century but inside is still largely medieval. The north arcade is Norman and the south Early English. Early twelfth-century is the splendid chancel arch and the chancel east wall has lancet windows. There is an Anglo-Saxon effigy of a priest.
St. Andrews is a late 14th century architectural masterpiece. Built by Bishops Barnet and Arundel of Ely, their coats of arms may decorate the vault of the south porch. Sutton is dominated by the 4 stage Perpendicular tower culminating in a double octagon belfry reminiscent of Ely Cathedral. The embattled south façade is faced with fine Barnack limestone punctuated by a two storey stone porch.
Both the chancel and nave are linked with blank arcading around the tall Decorated windows. The internal arcade is made up of tall lozenge shaped piers producing the illusion of great height. The south aisle is dominated by an unusual Decorated piscina with a large niche above containing a badly damaged statue of the Virgin. Again there may be a strong Ely influence with ogee arches referencing the Lady Chapel.
Small 13th century church with later 14th century side aisles which extend above the original clerestory.
15th century tower inserted into the westernmost bay of the Nave.
Rood screen c. 1400 and a Jacobean pulpit originally from Cherry Hinton.
14th century Perpendicular 3 part sedilia with matching piscina.
Charming Chancel pews with Arts and Craft influences.
Formally St Mary and St Botolph. Began as a monastery c670, destroyed and re- founded in 972 and then rebuilt in 1085 to 1108. After the dissolution, the surviving five bays of the nave were restored as a parish church in 1638. The east end (in Norman style) was added in 1840-1841.
The tower is built in 5 storeys from the 14th century with diagonal buttresses, a square stair turret and embattled parapet and supports a broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. The nave, chancel, vestry and south porch are of similar date. The earliest surviving fabric is the north chapel and arcade. The two circular columns at the west end with half an arch against the tower are c1190 whilst further east, the two columns, one octagonal and one circular are late 13th century. The clerestory is late 15th century as is the north aisle roof. The current 15th – 16th century rood screen, (replacing a 14th century one), has three patterns of tracery and a crucifix above and is quite rare. It would have once crossed the north aisle as well. Look for the unusually combined squint and piscina in the north chapel.
The tower has a broach spire. There is also a small praying figure in a niche with, below it, and inscription in French asking for prayers. Inside, the arcades are Early English in style but with round arches. In the chancel are stalls, two of which have late-medieval poppy-heads. The Rood Screen is also late-medieval. Fine glass in the east window. Not far from here was found the Water Newton Treasure, now in the British Museum, containing some of the oldest surviving Christian gold and silver objects.
Follow these tips
See the video as an example.